We address challenging behaviours through the deployment of a whole school positive behaviour policy, which includes setting clear expectations and engaging parental involvement.
The Nexus Academy recognises the importance of regular attendance and punctuality as a vital mechanism in supporting student progress. For many of the students who will attend the academy, we recognise that irregular patterns of attendance can be the norm, which serves to compound their educational problems and increase their level of disaffection. The Nexus Academy will therefore place great emphasis on the need to encourage and support full attendance amongst its students.
This is achieved through:
- fostering positive staff-student relationships;
- rewarding regular attendance and meeting of individual targets
- developing and maintaining close home-school links;
- providing a needs-focused curriculum;
- setting individual attendance targets with supportive strategies;
- prompt follow-up in cases of non-attendance;
- referral to Education Welfare Service where appropriate;
- collaborative working with schools and other external professional and voluntary agencies.